Tuesday, March 27, 2007

TH you *toot*.. :p Haha.. My first instinct was to agree with you and start ranting about how far behind time we are but on second thoughts i'm not gonna give you the privilege of getting the last laugh.. haha.. There were a lot of enjoyable times in the army, life changing experiences (albeit a little overstated in our short lives so far) that we will never be able to go through later on in our lives. And for that I have to disagree with you. Yes, we are behind in terms of getting a headstart in our career, but looking back, I wouldn't regret going through the army again. (Well, if i were a clerk/storeman/driver, then that would be a different story altogether :p) For me, I would rather have 2-3 years less of the corporate world which will be rather insignificant in our long working "shelflife" as compared to a significant experience.

Well, but the fact remains that, haha.. we are dying in our current jobs and for that I would lament our lag behind you. I'm a data entry clerk, alex is an admin clerk and jh is a corporate loanshark (as of "typing" time). Congrats to him this coming friday 30th March when he is finally released from his agony, either plunging to further depths in another similar job or elevated to a higher lifeform doing something more productive.

Life is mundane and boring; our intellect is put to waste and our body is deteriorating from the lack of exercise, which at least we got from the army. But such is the reality of life, and partly because of this I do not feel that I have lost much if I were able to start working earlier. Of course after graduating many more opportunities and choices will be open to us, and I look forward to that day coming.

Haha.. Now it's my turn to laugh at ben, alex and jh. At least I get to fiddle with Bloomberg news and I've got fun colleagues (male, fyi..) to hang out with. We chat about soccer news and maybe sometimes crack jokes about the fairer sex. But such is the lifestyle of bachelor boys. Oh, the male colleagues that I was talking about, one is an Australia-educated Malaysian Indian at 36yrs (lets call him JD) with a Japanese girlfriend and the other is a cool Australia-educated Singaporean Malay (call him AJ) at 35. The other is my army friend that I brought in to work with me. (lets not care about him. He's insignificant in this story but in order to continue my narration his name is KH. lol..) I tell you JD and AJ are really cool man. Both are Tottenham Spurs supporters (fyi only. but they are cool NOT because of that. Who supports Tottenham?!)

Over a few drinks one friday night at 5.30pm at Harry's pub (yes, fortunately we were early enough to beat the ang moh's to a seat) at Clark Quay branch, KH and I chatted with JD. He used to work with Bloomberg as a reporter, getting financial news from all over the world but quit when he reached editor level and had no where else to go up the ladder. He worked in many Asian countries, including a stint in Japan where he met (I was going to use the word hooked, but.. haha..) his Jap gf. Now she's shuttling in and out of Singapore and Japan every month while awaiting her work permit. Poor him.. She's 32, working as an equities trader which she totally hates but has no choice but to stay employed for the work permit, just to be with him in SG, and the pressure's on him to get married for obvious reasons.. "Work's always the excuse not to get married" he laughs it off when I first asked him why he doesn't want to get married. "I don't smoke, gamble, take drugs or fool around, I only drink" he says and it is evident that this bachelor boy is living life as a single to its fullest.

AJ on the other hand is a suave joker. One of the few that I've met (or maybe the only one so far) that can really think on his toes. He is the ultimate professional in picking up girls. I always thought that I was good with girls (pls agree to boost my ego, girls!), but clearly, I pale in comparison to him, THE man. He can really melt the ice with female strangers at the click of his fingers not by his looks, but by the things he says. For example he met this stunning lady in red once and her hands were filled with files and the other a cup of coffee she just bought. Clearly she had trouble going out of the door of Spinelli's holding so many things, and who should come by but the meister AJ. The conversation goes sth like this:

AJ: Here, allow me (and he opens the door for her)

Lady in red (LIR) : Oh thank you.

If he were me, I would just open the door for her and say a meek welcome after she thanks me, and, normally, a conversation would end by this point after she leaves the door. but it just so happens that he was wearing a red tie, and since she was in a red dress and because of his quick thinking...

AJ: Well, red's the colour of the brave. (indicating to his tie, but obviously referring to her sexy outfit)

(And she gives him, THE look ie the are-you-trying-to-be-funny-but-obviously-flattered look)

AJ: haha.. no pun intended.. Well you certainly look like you need help with your coffee

LIR: haha, thanks but I can manage (as she struggles out of the door)

AJ: no, i meant that I could help you finish it if you want.

(and she turns and smiles)

Ok, I'm really not good with this narrative. I'm certainly not doing justice to him but all I can remember was that KH and I were laughing on hearing him narrate his story to us.

Well with colleagues like these, what more can I complain? That was why I sealed my fate for another 3 months by signing a contract with this company till end June..

Oh by the way, it certainly does help that I'm working the relatively short hours of 9am-5.30pm and i just asked for and got a pay increment.. ( :p to the guys!)


Till Friday night mahjong at my house guys..

Cheers!

LJ


03S73 rocking off at 6:45 PM

***





Hwa Chong Junior College
03S73

sentosa 2003

prom 2004


[[* February 2005 *]]
[[* March 2005 *]]
[[* April 2005 *]]
[[* May 2005 *]]
[[* June 2005 *]]
[[* July 2005 *]]
[[* August 2005 *]]
[[* September 2005 *]]
[[* October 2005 *]]
[[* December 2005 *]]
[[* January 2006 *]]
[[* February 2006 *]]
[[* March 2006 *]]
[[* April 2006 *]]
[[* May 2006 *]]
[[* June 2006 *]]
[[* July 2006 *]]
[[* September 2006 *]]
[[* October 2006 *]]
[[* November 2006 *]]
[[* December 2006 *]]
[[* January 2007 *]]
[[* February 2007 *]]
[[* March 2007 *]]
[[* April 2007 *]]
[[* May 2007 *]]
[[* June 2007 *]]
[[* August 2007 *]]
[[* September 2007 *]]
[[* October 2007 *]]
[[* December 2007 *]]
[[* January 2008 *]]
[[* March 2008 *]]
[[* May 2008 *]]
[[* July 2008 *]]



*Mrs Goh!
*Chewy
*Qingzhao
*Jaymie
*Jiaho
*05s73
*06s73